After seeing the Halloween Shape Book Videos by the BugJunkie, I tried to design my own using Inkscape and SCAL to cut out on my cricut. I used Halloween svg files provided by artists on their blog. (Credits will Follow). Bug Junkie used a lot of shapes from the Dress Up Paper Doll cart, which luck would have it, I didn't have. Even though she used Design Studio by Cricut in her videos, there were a lot of concepts and tips that are important when designing and assembling a shape book.
(click on the picture above if you would like to download the svg file)
When I first imported to SCAL, no file was seen. I could not figure out why my svg file would not import into SCAL. After many attempts on trying to figure it out, I posted my dilemia on the Scalhints Yahoo Group and Penny Duncan came to the rescue and explained my errors.
I cut my page layers from cereal boxes. They were just right in Cricut using the regular blade and setting the multicut on the SCAL to 2. Try not to cut up your biggest pieces cutting your shortest pages, save your tallest boxes for the longest pages. Yes that little tip came from experience. Oh yeah, and when cutting it out, don't forget to nudge the cuts below the Cricut margin, experience talking again. LOL
I covered my pages using assorted Halloween paper and cardstock I ran thru the CuttleBug. My xyron 900 came in real handy gluing the papers down. I have also altered my own pattern, as I just imagine any crafter does to suit them, I changed the pumpkin to a pumpkin svg file provided by Dustin Pike and his file can be found here.
I will bind it just as soon as my binder gets here. I ordered a Bind It All from Zutter and it should be here soon. More embellishments are planned and will be added when it's all together. I'll share the finished book complete with pictures inside soon.
Shape Credits:
Cheeky Magpie : cat and jack-o-lantern
Southernbelle SVGS : tombstone
My Cricut Scrapbooking : ghost and witch
SVGcuts : Barry the Bat and the Haunted house
Dustin Pike : another jack-o-lantern
Technical Credits:
Penny Duncan from Penny Duncan Creations
The Bug Junkie



7 comments:
Your Halloween book is fabulous.It sure looks complicated. I'm impressed
that this was your first one.
Hugs
Carol P
Your book turned out FABULOUS girl!!! GREAT job!!!!!!
WOW! Your Halloween book is so cute. You did a great job.
Thanks for sharing all the info.
Big Hugs!
WOW!!! This is your first? I am so impressed.
Lynn
Thank you for sharing this. I too wanted to make one after watching the video from Bugjunkie, but did not have the paperdolls cartridge. I knew it could be done in scal, but I have yet to make a book in scal. Anyways Thank you, it turned out Great!
This is great. I can't wait to play with this...Thanks for sharing.
Thank you so much for this Freebie. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in Creative Busy Hands Cricut Freebies Search List, under the Alpha(s),Word Art(s), Word Book(s) post on Oct. 27, 2009. Thanks again.
Post a Comment